It’s been a big year for the transit industry, and Genfare is no exception. From a generational investment in mobility to recovery from the pandemic shut-down, from a renewed push for sustainability to record inflation, and from the easing up of supply chain issues to growing staffing difficulties – we’ve all grown through every challenge and opportunity.
As we close the books on 2023, it’s a good time to reflect on our past year and look toward 2024 with a year in review.
Driving the industry forward with our transformation
For more than 40 years, Genfare has been the premier supplier of American-made fareboxes. Today we’re on a new journey. We’ve transformed from a manufacturer of fare collection hardware to a partner to transit agencies as a provider of full-scale equitable mobility solutions. We’re driving the industry forward with innovative and equitable mobility solutions that let the rider pay with whatever is in their pocket.
Our promise: Simplify. Empower. Connect.
Whoever you are, wherever you’re headed, we’ll help you get there. Our commitment is to elevate public transit by building mobility solutions that simplify the rider’s experience, empower equity and connect communities.
- Agencies need to reduce the burden of fare collection to address budget shortfalls. And riders want the freedom to board with whatever form of payment is in their pocket. So, we’ve simplified fare collection to remove obstacles.
- There are more ways than ever to collect the fares and data that transit agencies need to operate. But technology often leaves behind those who need it the most. So, we’ve empowered equity with mobility solutions that invite everyone along for the ride.
- Every community is unique, from the distance between its borders to the people who call it home. But one thing they all have in common is that their people need to get from where they live to the places they work, learn, shop, and play. So, we’ve connected communities with insights and interoperability for a smoother journey.
Driven to serve: Rider advocate. Agency ally. Community builder.
Our dedication to live out our promise is driven by every colleague’s desire to serve. The ethos of the organization is guided by our values – integrity, accountability, excellence, teamwork, and results – that we put to work every day for our coworkers, agencies and riders and for ourselves.
- With a focus on accountability, we take the wheel to do our best in support of our mission – always acting with the utmost integrity. We step up. We come prepared. We seek solutions. We are in constant pursuit of transformation for ourselves and our industry.
- We’re all aboard with collaborative teamwork. Our focus on results is at the heart of our disciplined approach. We excel when we harness our diverse perspectives to solve problems. At Genfare, we’re committed to continuous improvement — step-by-step, day-by-day. With dependable communication, self-reflection, and critical thinking. We strive to deliver excellence and exceed expectations.
- We pride ourselves on going the extra mile to achieve results that support agencies now and in the future. Every piece, part and program made within our walls in America is devoted to upholding the integrity of an agency’s fleet for a safe and reliable experience. We are building more than just innovative fare collection solutions. We’re building communities from small towns to big cities to keep public transportation in motion.
Sharing a look at the new face of Genfare
The transformational internal work has been underway for some time, and in 2023 we made sure that what you see reflects who we’ve become. Here’s a look back at the rejuvenation of Genfare.
In July, we debuted our new brand look and feel with the introduction of a refreshed website presence. The new site articulates our refined mission as well as our solution, product and service offerings aligned with our pillars of simplify, empower and connect. Plus, it showcases thought leadership focused on equitable mobility and other issues important to transit agencies, along with resources you can use to elevate public transit, including our relaunched blog, white papers, and case studies.
Keeping in closer contact
We listened when you told us you wanted more and better communication with Genfare. We’ve relaunched our monthly customer newsletter, Journey with Genfare, to give you the information you need to make the most out of your fare collection solution. If you’re not receiving the newsletter, subscribe here. We’re also sending emails when there’s something important to share between newsletters, such as product news, service alerts, or new content posted to the Customer Portal.
Plus, we have invigorated our LinkedIn presence with more regular posts highlighting our customers and sharing industry news. If you have something you would like us to share, send us an email or tag us on LinkedIn.
American Public Transportation Association (APTA) TRANSform Conference & EXPO
At the APTA EXPO and TRANSform Conference, we debuted the ethos of our empower pillar with a concept we called EQ City (EQ stands for equity). We demonstrated how our solutions simplify boarding, allowing riders to pay with whatever form of payment is in their pocket, and how we can empower equitable mobility by digitizing cash to ensure underbanked and unbanked transit-dependent riders can enjoy the convenience and financial benefits of contactless payments.
Advocating for our transit agency partners
Transit is at a crossroads, which has created a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to truly reinvigorate mobility. Genfare and our leadership are committed to serving the industry and doing our part to ensure a bright future for public transportation. We’re doing this first and foremost by taking an active role within APTA.
Our President, Eric Kaled, has joined the APTA Board of Directors as a Business Member Director. He is excited for the opportunity to help positively impact the public transportation industry and continue his passion for improving workforce development, technology and innovation, and diversity and inclusion to ultimately enhance ridership and the rider experience.
Genfare’s Chief Revenue Officer, Daria van Engelen, has joined the Leadership APTA Class of 2024. She’s fired up and eager to learn more about how we can take on the challenges of our industry and present solutions to serve our communities.
Legislative support: Genfare goes to Washington
We are both keeping an eye on and, where we can, influencing government to support transit across the United States with regulations and grants that help our customers best serve their communities.
This year, the executive leadership team from Genfare joined thousands of transit agencies and stakeholders to descend on Washington for the three-day APTA annual legislative conference. We were happy to join our partners, colleagues, and others at this event to support transit and increase investment in transit.
We also regularly shared opportunities for capital funding, along with practical tips and ongoing assistance in making your grant applications stand out. Our latest white paper, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Grant Guide, rounds up information on just about every federal funding program available for transit projects.
Join us on this journey
To the hundreds of agencies in North America that we work with today – thank you for joining us on this journey.